Sunday, April 20, 2014

The point

I'm sure this will evolve over time, but here is my aim with this blog:

I will attempt to write about interesting items I have read about in a way that is accessible to a knowledgeable public.  For the most part, these will not contain overview, but will refer back to posts that should provide overview.  I am not a science writer nor have I aspired to be a science writer, but this seems like the thing to do at the moment.  I will probably miss some background that is needed, in which case I may have to do background posts after a post as well as before.  I will not cover high school level science, I expect a knowledgeable public to know that already.

The title of the blog really just says who I am.  I worked with physical chemists as an undergraduate doing scanning probe microscopy.  (I'll write an overview about that soon.)  I was in chemical physics (part of the chemistry department) as a graduate doing nuclear magnetic resonance.  (That will be the next overview I write.)  In both of these, I purchased very few chemicals and many people do confuse me with a physicist, but I must confess to being a chemist in actual fact.  I have an interest in fuel cells and the proposals I wrote as part of my degree tended to revolve around these.  (Yep, there will likely be an overview on that soon, too.)  I will try to stretch to the more interesting subjects that others I have come into contact with have studied, such as the membrane proteins studied by Eduard Chekmenev.

So, there will be two types of post: overview and detail.  Hopefully there will be an overview post to introduce each subject of detail.  Hiking is already covered quite well in one of my other blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment